[SLUG] Monthlies

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 06:16:18 BST 2005

Hi ppl

I resolved, in order to keep up with what people are getting excited
about, each month, to download and install and play with the top
download from <http://sourceforge.net/>. Well, I resolved that about
six months ago and haven't actually reached this far down my monthly
routine in that time, but since the cat's waking me up at 5am nowadays
(I'm looking forward to that being 4am once the clocks go back), and
since pre9am is my scheduled admin time, I get a little more time for
such things.

So, the top download is Azureus, a Bit Torrent client
<http://azureus.sourceforge.net/index.php>.

Since my Java J2SE version is 1.4~~~ the first thing for me to do is
to update that to 1.5~~~~.

Here are the instructions, which I followed:
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/install-linux.html#install-rpm>

java -version still says I'm running 1.4~~~~~. What am I missing?

While I'm at it .. will I like Bit Torrent? How many of you use it,
and what do you use it for? With a 1Gb ADSL, what's the point? How big
does a file have to get before you want to get it over Bit Torrent?