[SLUG] Monthlies

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 08:26:31 BST 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> java -version still says I'm running 1.4~~~~~. What am I missing?

It's voodoo magic getting java updated with redhat/fedora.... I find
that 1.4 is adequate for Azureus, however he won't accept bug reports if
you're on that version. The main improvements were with the CPU usage.
> While I'm at it .. will I like Bit Torrent? How many of you use it,
> and what do you use it for? With a 1Gb ADSL, what's the point? How big
> does a file have to get before you want to get it over Bit Torrent?

Obviously you understand the good thing about bittorrent, that even for
small files is that it reduces server load. In  my experience bittorrent
doesn't make things faster for users; it makes things cheaper for
providers. I tend to use bittorrent options where available as a 'moral'
decision.

Steve