[SLUG] November meeting

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 10:17:32 BST 2005

Hi ppl

Once I've confirmed the room at the Valley Bar, I'll send this to the
SEN, if you have any comments, let me know.

Richard Stallman habitually picks knots from his hair at the dinner
table. He is also the eccentric genius behind the free software
movement which says software should be like free speech .. free to
copy and pass around, free to improve, and free to use.

To Stallman software is knowledge and capability, and it should be
available to all.

This month's Scarborough Linux User Group comprises a talk on Richard
Stallman based on the book "Free as in Freedom".

Anyone interested should turn up at The Valley Bar on Valley Road, at
7:30pm on Wednesday 9th November or visit the SLUG website at
http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/ where they can join the mailing
list and ask any questions they wish.

Visitors to Scarborough library from Tuesday November 29th to Sunday
December 11th will be able to find out more about Linux, free
software, and Scarborough Linux User Group by reading a display in the
entrance foyer.

Linux is an increasingly popular alternative, low cost operating
system for almost all computer systems. Most software that runs on
Linux is called 'free' referring both to its cost, and to the fact
that users are free to copy and use software and free to improve it to
suit their needs. Many equally capable yet free alternatives to
popular programs are available to run on Linux, for example word
processing, graphics manipulation, music composition and video
editing.

Scarborough Linux User Group meets monthly to discuss Linux news and
try new software in a social environment.

The following December meeting is on Tuesday the 6th and will discuss
the technicalities of creating your own Linux distribution and review
Catux-USB, a Linux distribution that runs from a USB device that was
created by SLUG's twin LUG in Catalunya. Those wishing to attend in
December should check the SLUG website
http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/ beforehand.

refs:

Linux: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux>