[SLUG] Library summary v2.0

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 15:09:05 GMT 2005

I got next to no responses to this last week which would suggest
probably it was too big and complex, so here's a quick to do list:

> The SLUG library display
> ========================

Choose which of these you prefer:
> Scarborough Linux User Group - Free/Open Source Software for
> everyone	2
> Scarborough Linux User Group - Free Software for everyone	2
> Scarborough Linux User Group - Free your computer	1

We need to decide which of these trifold leaflets we are actually
going to produce, there's room for six, so please vote which ones to
keep/drop:

> "Linux for the small business"
> "Linux for music and musicians"
> "Linux for video"
> "Saving money with Linux"
> "Linux at the cutting edge"
> "Linux for games"
> "Linux in education"
> "A working computer for under £100"
> "Why XML and OpenDocument are important"
> "Free as in freedom - the ethics of free software"

> A volunteer who used to watch Blue Peter is required to make up
> pockets that will contain and display these and that will velcro to
> the panel.

> The right hand panel (and I'm expanding a little on Al's thought) will
> have a series of screenshots of our Linux machines together with a
> paragraph about each of us (and a photo if you want). The idea is to
> show Linux looking good and to show how we are real people not just
> screenburned geeks. How many people are willing/able to produce an A5
> like this about themselves, we need five at least?
> John Allsopp
> Al Girling
> Stephen O'Neill

Two more volunteers required

Would someone volunteer to produce this:
> We should have a bowl of business-card sized pieces of paper or
> smaller along with a "please take one" sign (as if they were sweets)
> which just contain the message that all this information is on our
> website and giving our website address. Our website address across the
> whole thing will be a variant on our normal address, eg.
> http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/lib so we can see how many people
> came to visit.

We need some opinions on this:
> We might also provide some coverdiscs for people to take away. My
> feeling is we'd be better to provide something like Knoppix or the
> Open CD. Opinions? How do we get, say, 100 copies? Do we need some
> text to go with it or does it say enough on the disc?

Cheers