[SLUG] LPI plan for September

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 08:24:12 BST 2005

Hi LPIers

Here's the plan for September:

LPI 101 study objectives, September 2005

See <http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html> for official syllabus, and
<https://group.lpi.org/publicwiki/pub/Examdev/ObjectivesReview/101_V0.3.html>
for new syllabus under review (this is the one I'm using).

w/c 28 August (previously listed in August)
1.102.3 Make and install programs from source (4 of 10 hrs)

w/c 4 September
1.102.3 Make and install programs from source (4 of 10 hrs)

w/c 11 September
1.102.3 Make and install programs from source (2 of 10 hrs)
1.102.4 Manage shared libraries (2 of 6 hrs)

w/c 18 September
1.102.4 Manage shared libraries (4 of 6 hrs)

w/c 25 September
1.102.5 Use Debian package management (4 of 16 hrs)

Note that the exam as it currently stands has two versions. You choose
whether to take the one which covers Debian package management
(starting above), or Red Hat (the next 16 hours). If you were to take
the exam in the next 6 (approx) months, you'd choose one or the other.

The new exams coming up won't be like that, so our best line is to
learn both I think.

However, I've read advice in the Exam Cram book (Brunson) that
strongly recommends doing the Red Hat track, not because it's better,
but because it's more popular. I think that maybe gives us a clue that
perhaps the exam won't attribute much importance to Debian package
management.

This gives anyone who wants to catch up and join the LPI programme
(Steve?) a chance now that won't come again, to spend the time while
we're learning Debian catching up with what we've learned so far, and
then joining the programme with the Red Hat stuff starting towards the
end of October.

At the end of the Debian thing we'll be about a third of the way through.

Anyway, that's it folks.

Cheers