[SLUG] Scarborough, Fintan Gaughan has invited you to try Google Talk.

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 09:49:54 BST 2005

> Fintan Gaughan wrote:
>
>>Google Talk is a downloadable Windows application that lets you send
>>instant messages to your friends and make free phone calls over an
>>internet connection.
>>
> Skype also is a downloadable application with similar functionality.
> It
> works with Linux.  I've used it for a long time.  It's good.

What's the story with compatibility? Incompatible presumably? A lot of
my clients use Skype, so to talk to them I'd use Skype (if I spoke to
them at all .. most comms is email). It currently feels like the first
one in wins, in which case, it's Skype. But will the Google name win
out? And if it does, where was Microsoft when this was going on /
isn't Google using the same brand awareness muscle that MS would use
to win in a market against a 'young upstart'? I suppose there's
nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and a) you only get calls when your PC is on, b) presumably you
have to be at your PC to make/receive calls, c) I've received echoey
Skype calls and I've been cut off.