[SLUG] Free software day

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 23:15:18 BST 2005

Hi

I said at the last meeting that I would produce a short poster/handout
designed  to alert and reassure newcomers to Linux as to what they might
expect to find on switching from, say, Windows.  Here is the text part of the
first draft.  I will bring the actual file to the next meeting.

Linux isn't that hard!

What do you need to know to get a Linux system up and running?

You will find it easiest if you have a reasonably modern machine.  Linux is
famous for its ability to run on older machines, but to make life easy you
want a machine with at least 256MB of RAM and a processor with a speed of  at
least 700Mhz.  You can buy these, as second user, for about £100 by mail
order(try magazines like MicroMart), or you can buy new just off the High
Street for £150 plus the cost of a monitor(try Quay Tec opposite tkmax)

This is the real hurdle.

You need to attach to the internet.  You will need an external modem unless
you can get someone to sell you an internal modem with your system with the
right drivers.  Ask before you buy.  You will not be given a CD to do the
work for you.  You need the dial-up number of the ISP (internet service
provider) you use and your password.  If you already have an ISP, you should
have no problem using it.  If you do not, you will have to arrange facilities
with an ISP, by phone, letter, or e-mail.  You will come across companies to
whom Linux is non-existent.  I found Tesco bad, but Tiscali good.

One company you can use to start with is Linux-ISP.  Their number is 0845 123
2000.  It costs slightly more than a standard phone call while you are
attached, but that is all you pay.  Your username will be 'linux' and the
password is always 'isp'.

When you set up email programs on the computer you will need to know  two web
addresses,  your outgoing mail server and your incoming mail server.  These
always look much the same.  For example mine are smpt.tiscali.co.uk and
pop.tiscali.co.uk.  Your ISP should tell you what these are when you
subscribe.

And that, mostly, is it.  Once on the internet  you can get free books -try
Introuction to Linux on  http://tille.xalasys.com/training/tldp/ .  There are
plenty of websites that will respond to any queries you type into you search
engine.  You could even join SLUG!

Can anyone pick obvious holes or errors in this.

Bob Garrood