[SLUG] LPI 1.102.1 design hard disc layout

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 08:44:33 BST 2005

Hi ppl

Just working through some notes from a month or so ago about the hard
disc system. Since I've now looked into it I can answer some
questions:

I used this
<http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.2/suselinux-adminguide_en/ch20s02.html>
to tackle the differences between EXT2/3, ReiserFS and so on.

Jonathan, you said "EXT3 is a journalling file system (well, it
journals the meta data anyway)" .. according to the above, EXT3 is the
only file system that does journal the data too, others (assuming the
latest ReiserFS isn't out yet) journal the meta data only.

There's an explanation of LVM here:
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/whatisvolman.html>

Steve, you said Fedora "uses LVM by default so doesn't even use normal
partitions" .. I know you know this, but just for the record, the
normal partitions are there underneath, LVM is just an abstraction
layer to make management easier.

I don't think either are requested by LPI but it's worth knowing a
little I reckon.

Otherwise, all good, thanks for your hints and guidance ppl.

Cheers