[SLUG] J2EE

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 11:51:15 BST 2005

This is a question for those that have experience of programming with
J2EE...

I'm kinda mimicking the J2EE system for modelling database entities.

Very broadly speaking, when the entity dies it is written back to the
database.

What I want to know is does it do that for all entities irrespective of
whether their properties have changed or not... and if it holds some
sort of modified state does a setProperty() method automatically cause
it to get written back, or does it just do it if the new value is
somehow different?

I suspect that I'll have to play to sate my curiosity, or expect to be
lectured on how I've misunderstood the whole concept.

The reason I'm asking is that I've saved a ridiculous number of queries
by holding modified state, and wondered how granular to make it.

Steve