[SLUG] We are twins

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 18:05:13 BST 2005

Hiya

Whether our link with Catux is a 'twinning' arrangement or a special
interest group, I don't really mind. The point is, they've voted 100%
in favour of co-operating with us, and at the last meeting, I think
100% of us voted the same way.

So, a joint mailing list has been created (read on for the address),
and it's over to everyone in SLUG to make it work. Please go and log
on and introduce yourselves otherwise I'll look a complete plonker.

Here are some thoughts on it that I've been mulling over with Carles
of Catux:

Reasons to twin with Catux:

It's interesting, and it's fun.

We will create a joint mailing list so we can talk with each other for
all the normal reasons .. it's good to meet people with similar
interests, and even more interesting if they are from a different
culture. Ever fancied working in another country? Ever wondered
whether Linux is seen differently in a different culture? Ever
wondered how others see us? This could be the start of a whole new
thread of your life.

Linguistic fun .. SLUG can help Catux to correct some English texts
(I'm (John) OK with doing some of this). We can learn some Spanish and
Catalan.

Catux-USB 2.0 (a Linux distribution that boots from USB) is under
development with release planned for October/November. Possible
collaboration .. beta-testers, ideas, suggestions, etc.).

Catux has another project in mind too for possible collaboration.

Comparison of what works and what doesn't in a LUG, idea swapping, eg.
for Software Freedom Day.

Travel (we already have agreement in principle for one LUG to visit
the other next summer, who visits who depends on the outcome of the
Eurovision Song Contest*). Catux is in Manresa, 15 miles North West of
Barcelona, SLUG is in Scarborough, Britain's first seaside resort.

Writing articles together. Our first idea is .. let's set up a
videoconference between our two LUGs and jointly write up how we did
it. You could see your name in print.

Convinced? Go here
<http://catux.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/scarborough>, sign up to a
joint mailing list, and introduce yourself.

Thassit.

* take the English alphabet and number the letters consecutively,
Linux style .. a=0, b=1, c=2, etc. Watch Eurovision
<http://www.eurovision.tv>. Take the first letter of the name of the
winning country. If it's even, Catux travels to us, if it's odd, we go
to them. The following year we swap.