[SLUG] Library display

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 16:51:11 BST 2005

>> An installation at a group meeting would also benefit from the
>> community mind .. if the installer gets stuck they could shout for
>> suggestions from the group.
>
> Very true.  Although I've seen it turn into something of a chimps tea
> party in the past.

ROFL, I can imagine.

> Also you're unlikely to get all peripherals
> attached during the install.

Yes, I was just thinking that. Not only will they be unwilling to drag
along their scanner, if it's anything like mine, you'll need a
Internet connection in order to download the driver for it.

> Some may say this shouldn't present problems as a
> newby should be willing to learn.  I'll just ask how frustrated did
> you
> get installing Redhat, and is everything working now John?

Oh, no on both counts. Well, yes, a newby should be willing to learn,
but learning that the filesystem doesn't start with a c: is enough to
start with. No, ideally, we'd be able to get people up and running.

Even more ideally, we'd be able to give an estimate of what might not
work before we start. For instance, if I'd walked in off the street
with a shop/service head on and asked SLUG to install Linux and I'd
got this far, I'd be disappointed to this day that my soundcard
doesn't work. The punter would be happier knowing what he/she will
have to replace before we start, if that's at all possible.

> We must
> avoid
> the "I installed Linux, but couldn't even get my
> scanner/printer/webcam/digital camera to work with it so I binned it!"
> comments heard all to frequently.

Absolutely.

> Please don't think I've deliberately set out to be negative, I'm just
> concerned that a method be in place to deal with someone asking to
> have Linux installed.  It seems to me we need:
>
> 1. Someone willing to be the installer (Steve?  Although this seems
> rather unfair, others should be willing to do this too).

Aye, well I think I'll be up to speed at some point shortly. I've this
silent PC I'm still mumbling on about, so I'll have to install on
that. I've done all the LPI things about installation, and for the LPI
I'm going to have to install Debian on something too. My only problem
is .. I've got responsibility for the meetings, and now I'm trying to
sort out the stand design things which is where my skills are probably
most different to SLUG members .. there should be some people around
who are much more technical than I who can take on the installation.
No, not quite .. it's not a moan, it's just I'm running out of time is
all.

> 2. Somewhere to do the install.  Preferably with an Internet
> connection.

Well one possibility is the punter delivers the computer to the
person's house, and then collects it after a few days when the
installation's done.

> 3. Liability waiver form.

I suggest it's in English rather than legalese. I can write things.

> 4. A distro to become familiar with installing.  York are using Ubunto
> this year.  Seems very popular.  Suggestions?

Oh, interesting. I'd imagined we'd be choosing a suitable distribution
for people's needs. Lindows (is that what it's called) for complete
newbies perhaps.

> 5. Some way to get hardware info about the machine for the
> installation.
> is there an equivalent to 'lshw' in the windows world?  Get this
> beforehand to check hardware and driver availability.

Maybe we need a sheet to tell them what we need and how to get it. RAM
and CPU on bootup, disc size and free space from Explorer, list all
your peripherals, list all the software you use, etc.

> 6. Practice sessions to trial this.
>
> 7. Really part of 5 but be able to say I'm sorry but your scanner etc
> isn't supported under Linux and explain why.  Perhaps offer to show an
> alternative working. So they don't go away thinking scanners etc don't
> work with Linux.
>
> 8. Anything I've not thought of for now.

I think this ties in with what I wanted to do, and possibly still want
to do for our library stand, which is the Linux challenge. For
instance, my next door neighbour is a composer. He'll want Linux for
its stability and for all the free soft synths and so on. We might
choose Agnula for him.

My mum has trained up in various Windows packages at night school ..
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and so on. I think we might say to her,
forget it, stick with Windows.

My g/f has no interest in computers whatsoever, but Libran's love
beauty, so that's why I'm recommending a Mac for her.

A small business person who wants a network of computers running
office applications, fine, Fedora or whatever with Open Office.

Surely this is the way to satisfaction. Otherwise we'd install Ubuntu
for everyone and surely half of them wouldn't understand why it's not
quite right for them.

I'm thinking too, these people are going to need support thereafter,
which I suppose is the group and the mailing list.

> I realise this sounds like preparation for an install-fest, but I do
> feel that it's necessary unless you're happy with sending people off
> with discs to do their own install.  Which I believe will too often
> result in failure and another unhappy user.

Deffo.

> I hope this is seen as constructive.

Absolutely it is.