[SLUG] Library display

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 12:43:43 BST 2005

John Allsopp wrote:

--%<--

> So you're saying the middle panel, the "why Linux" part, should have
> one big poster? Sounds good. Does anyone have the facilities to print
> bigger or would we have to use a facility somewhere. If that, we're
> looking at either someone digging into their pocket or a quick whip
> round, £1 each kinda thing .. and if that happens more than a few
> times we end up with a finance officer and a proper club, which we
> keep mentioning.

Yep!  Just what I meant and I'd be happy to throw in the price of a pint
or two for the cause if required.

--%<--

> A bring a box day?

Pretty much as it sounds really.  We get together with our machines to
show off our stuff and see others.  While maybe get something
demonstrated or fixed and we let the public in to see this.

--%<--

> > I'd have to say that BeatrIX and similar distro's are closer to my
> > idea of suitable distro's for newbies.  The big main distro's are
> > too overwhelming with the amount of software available.  Often
> > having huge repetitive menu's which put me off let alone someone
> > fresh to Linux.  I hope to have a look myself, but if not I'd be
> > interested in seeing Bob demonstrate at a meet.  A good choice bob.
>
> I've not seen it, but I wonder .. we are assuming people are general
> Windows users coming over to Linux and requiring a lot of handholding.

I think we have to accept that Windows users are the largest group and
as system installation and maintenance require a slightly different way
of thinking from the Windows world a degree of hand-holding will be
necessary.

> There are going to be some serious users too .. engineers, technical
> people, digital artists, people who know computers. Would they be
> satisfied with some sort of simplified Linux? If we want to choose a
> single distro to install we are going to have fun deciding which one
> :-)

I know what you're saying, but I think the beauty of most distros is how
easy they are to add software.  BeatrIX happens to be a .deb based
system (which is my preference), but in reality .rpm ones are still good
and will allow someone to install whatever software they desire and
starting with a minimal system that allows you to be productive
immediately, but can be expanded easily will be favourable.

> Cheers

Al Girling

GPG: key ID 0xD826BCE9
Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>