[SLUG] The %U affair

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 23:39:48 BST 2006

Thanks John for a valuable opening of my eyes to the possibilities of
the GIMP.  I shall open it with greater respect, and do some trying out.

Thanks, David, Steve and Mike, for (accurate) suggestions at this eve's
meeting as to what the %U means in the OpenOffice launcher command in
the launcher panel at the bottom of my screen.

I put an OpenOffice Writer file on the Desktop - dragged the icon onto
the launcher.  Result, the Writer file opened.

I then removed the %U parameter from the launcher command, and tried the
same thing again.  OpenOffice opened, but with a new document, not the
dragged file.

Put the %U back again.  File opened.

Conclusion: the %U parameter means "open the file dragged onto this
launcher" (as you suggested).

Thanks all for that.

Martin