[SLUG] OOps fstab

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 19:46:38 BST 2006

> I don't really follow what you are trying to do. Running mkfs will
> surely
> loose all the data on your disk partition.
>
> I thought it was simply a case that you had corrupted your fstab and
> needed to recover it. As I have already said all you need to do is
> boot
> Knoppix, login as root, mount the disk partition with your corrupted
> fstab, correct error, save fstab and then reboot.
>
> Also you mention /dev/sda. Do you have a SCSI disk drive?
>
> If you explain a little bit more about what you are trying to then
> I'll try and help.

Yes, all that stuff you told me about worked, I'm booted in, all well
and good and thank-you. It all made perfect sense too. It's difficult
ot think straight when your computer doesn't work at all.

Now the new partitions I set up (setting them up is the reason I was
changing fstab in the first place) are owned by root, whereas my
original work partition seems to be owned by me (so it's obviously
possible, I obviously did it not so long ago). My work partition is
full, so I'm trying to spread it across four partitions. Problem is, I
can only write to the new partitions as root (or I can set the
permissions to allow anyone in, but that seems like a network risk),
and as working as root is bad, I need to get them owned by me.

I don't know what determines the owner of a partition. Or rather, I'd
have thought it was the user who ran fdisk to set up the file
permissions, but I can't seem to run that as me, only as root.

Am I right about the fdisk bit? Can I change the owner of a partition?

Cheers