[SLUG] F-it, Badger time

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 15:37:07 BST 2006

Hi ppl

I've given up on Suse. Sorry, I have to apply real-world criteria to
this and say "it didn't work".

I put the problem to Usenet yesterday and didn't get anything I could
use.

So, Ubuntu Breezy Badger to the rescue. Well, not quite. This one
doesn't even recognise the screen.

So far I've downloaded 5.10 for AMD 64 bit, which installs to the
extent that it fails to start the X Server with 'no screens found'.

It gives its config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) which somewhere gives
this kinda thing 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' for
re-configuring.

The message I get says "restart GDM when it (the X Server) is
configured correctly".

gdm makes sense, there's a man page for that, but gdm-restart, which
the man page talks about, seems non existent.

Unless anyone has an bright ideas I'm not asking for help at this
stage, I'm just going to try re-installing with fewer screen
resolutions.

But it doesn't make sense. IF (big if) I manage to edit
/etc/X11/xorg.conf sufficiently that it recognises my screen, then how
do I get back to the bit of the installation where I fell over? If I
run the installation through again I'll lose my settings. Anyone any
views on that?

Or is it a 64 bit thing, might I have more luck with 32 bit? I'm
thinking that might be so .. is it falling over just on the lack of a
64 bit driver?