[SLUG] Suse sound (again, but new scenario)

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 15:56:51 BST 2006

Hi ppl

So here's where I'm at with Lucy's machine. I've tried several
distributions and none worked perfectly (interestingly, I haven't
tried Fedora yet). SUSE seems my best shot, so I'm back to that.

I've re-installed. I'm not sure how it happened but I got a much more
detailed installation and I'm now using KDE. It appears I have Gnome
on there too, but I can't see how I choose it. Anyway, KDE might give
me more options.

So, I'm going to attempt, once again, to use the on-board audio. The
motherboard, you'll remember, is an ASROCK 939NF4, there's an AMD
Athlon 64 3500+ in there, and the sound is supposed to be onboard
Realtek ALC850, 7.1 channel, AC'97 audio codec.

I'm trying this again because ppl on this list said their installation
recognised the Realtek perfectly on theirs.

I did install with onboard audio switched off in the BIOS (previously
I tried to put a soundblaster card in, but that gave other problems).
I've now switched it on, but YAST still lists no audio cards.

If I try to add, Realtek and ASROCK aren't in the list.

I'm out of ideas, what can I try?

Cheers