[SLUG] Suse sound (again, but new scenario)

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 08:53:52 BST 2006

> Hi John,
>
> I know that you'll have already googled, but have you tried the
couple of things mentioned here:

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=c0152d861a93e8cebb665bacdd7c05b9&p=2184468#post2184468

I tried the modprobe thing and that didn't work.

I'm getting nothing (I just get the prompt back again) from the
diagnosis commands above (modprobe soundcore, etc.).

Actually, previously I did get an error from that, when I did what
they said (except I added to modprobe.conf.local as a) SUSE doesn't
have a .preload, and b) .conf says don't change, add to local). I
changed it (on advice from another place) to options snd_intel8x0
index=1

I've asked on the Novell/SUSE support site, so we'll see if anything
comes from that.

I guess Alsa is the next step if I can't get it working otherwise. One
of the reasons I haven't gone too far down that route is that I saw
Alsa come up in the installation messages .. anyone any idea how I can
tell whether I've got Alsa already installed? I did man alsa and it
found nothing, so now I think it isn't.

Cheers