[SLUG] Suse sound (again, but new scenario)

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 11:57:34 BST 2006

> john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>> Fedora? Yes probably, but I'm on a trail atm .. more in a short
>> while.
>
> *lol* - I meant Windows!

Oh, now that would be an admission of defeat.

OK so here's where I'm at.

I started out thinking this would be something simple, something
someone knew about. So I asked here, then I escalated to Catux, then I
went global. No joy. So it's not a simple thing, and no-one knows the
answer, or I'm a pain in the arse, or I showed insufficient effort to
understand the problem myself.

So I'm fixing the latter issue.

Oh, I got off the ALSA installation idea because alsamixer runs but
says snd-ctl-open failed for default: no such device, which suggests I
have alsa, but it can't find a card, which we kinda knew already.

I ran alsaconf and it said it found 2 cards: mpu401 snd-mpu401, and
legacy probe legacy ISA (non PnP) chips. I ran both, the top one
produced no sound, the legacy one found none, in the end.

The LPI thing doesn't give a lot of attention to sound, but I have a
page of notes about how to install a card:

Check IRQ, DMA, I/O port conflicts: checked

sndconfig may work: it doesn't

Configure PnP if applicable, it isn't.

Next up is modules. Now I don't know much about modules (it shows
doesn't it, dammit!), so I've done the LPI learning about modules and
now I know something.

I've also got some drivers from Realtek.

And I've started working through the Linux Sound HowTo.

I'm currently stuck on the Realtek installation instruction step 2 (of
6) (pause for laughter). It says "Turn on sound support (soundcore
module, default turn on)"

I'm thinking maybe I should put "soundcore module, default turn on"
into my modules.conf.local, is that how you guys would interpret that?

Something else said I should have soundcore.o, soundlow.o and sound.o
modules installed, and I haven't.

OK, on with the rest of my life, back to it tomorrow.

Cheers