[SLUG] POP3 and IMAP

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 20:28:30 BST 2006

On Thursday 20 Apr 2006 19:14, Mike Bennett wrote:
> On 4/20/06, David Webster <dave at dave-webster.com> wrote:
> > I did some reading around and found that there is a third way.  IMAP
>
> Aha. Of course. Didn't think of IMAP because I've very very rarely
> seen it in use.
> Of course, you do have to have a mailserver that supports ~IMAP (which
> most ISPs probably don't).

I had exactly the same problem as David a few years ago now and so decided to
look at IMAP and it works fantastically well. This is how I setup it up.

I currently have three ISP POP accounts at home. None of these ISPs support
IMAP. What I did was to setup my own mail server using Fetchmail, Exim and
Dovecot (a POP3/IMAP server combined).

Fetchmail basically collects the mail from each of my ISP POP accounts and
deletes anything sucessfully fetched. It then "throws" the mail it fetches at
Exim.

Exim examines where the mail is going (after Spamassassin and Clam-AntiVirus
have had their turn to snaffle it) and delivers it to the correct user's
spool file. It does this because I have configured it to handle my 3 e-mail
domains as local domains. BTW Exim is also responsible for sending outbound
e-mail that we wish to send also.

Finally the user comes along with their IMAP compliant e-mail client to look
at their mail. It does this by contacting the Dovecot server which then
collects all the mail from the users spool file, deletes it and then puts the
mail into the inbox of the IMAP folder structure (unless they have set up
some filters in their e-mail client to deliver it elsewhere). I have stored
this folder structure for each user in $HOME/Mail (with Dovecot it's
configurable as is the choice of whether you want to use Maildir or Mbox
formats). Each user (read my wife and I) can build the folder structure up as
we wish using our chosen client.

It works very well because all our mail is held in one set of folders
regardless of where you view it from. I mainly use KMail and my Mrs uses
Thunderbird. I also use SquirrelMail (which is a webmail package written in
PHP that's compatible most SMTP and IMAP servers) to access my e-mail from
work and when I am on business via a web browser. I run SquirrelMail using
Apache2 via HTTPS to make it more difficult for someone to grab our passwords
as they are encrypted. I have also set it up to redirect to HTTPS if I
accidentally type HTTP. Because I have signed my own SSL certificate I get a
warning in each new browser I use stating that the certificate is signed by
an unrecognised authority. I'm not worried about it's authenticity (I know my
own server) so long as it encrypting the information (especially our
passwords).

I have also set up the same scenario for the company I work for except I used
Fetchmail, Sendmail and UW-IMAP because these were the default Slackware
packages which I understood better at the time I set the system up. If I got
the chance to do it again I would use Debian, Fetchmail, Exim and Dovecot
because they are either easier to configure (Exim) or more powerful
(Dovecot). I would use Debian because the packages are very well "laid out"
and act as a good starting point to build an advanced configuration from.

I have only found one small problem. I have to run my PC 24/7 which personally
I don't mind but it's not very green. At one point I bought a Linksys NSLU2
with the hopes of customising its firmware (http://www.nslu2-linux.org) and
then running it as an e-mail server. These are a small (Windows only if your
believe Linksys) NAS devices but are actually embedded Linux inside. They
have an Intel XScale processor and 32Mb of memory and use a fraction of
electric as compared with a PC. Unfortunately it just wasn't powerful enough
to handle all the servers, spam and virus checking etc.

I would be willing to attempt a meeting and do a talk on these e-mail related
servers at some point if anyones interested. I could also bring along the
Linksys device for people to take a look at if interested as it is still
customised and can be logged into via HTTP (the normal Linksys way) or SSH
(due to its nslu2-linux firmware).

Regards,
Paul.