[SLUG] SUSE installation sound problems

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 18:20:25 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>> Yes, I liked the 'just work' as well.  I first saw it in an ad for
>> Skype: "It just works".  Nice double meaning.
>>
>>> Based on this and Steve bringing over the FC5 CDs I'm having a go at
>>> FC. If I can get the on board sound to 'just work' then that saves
>>> me
>>> faffing with Suse. Otherwise, I'll definitely be back to Suse.
>>>
>>> It doesn't bode well. FC5 installation hung trying to start the X
>>> Windows server
>>>
>> Mmm.  Doesn't, does it!  What is it with this PC?
>>
>>>  so I'm doing it in text mode.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Gd lck!
>> Martin
>>

> Cheers. I didn't realise if you opt for text installation it installs
> without X running. So, because neither Ubuntu or Fedora seem to
> recognise the screen/card/whatever, I'm limited in my choice of
> possible distributions.

If it's the screen (and I'd of thought that the more likely of the two
options of screen and card), the following may be useful:

|"If the monitor is not detected, and the screen goes blank:|

|reboot, pressing e when the grub screen comes up|

|edit the kernel line, with e again, and add 3 to the end of it (this
will boot into run level 3, avoiding X|

|press b to reboot|

|log in as root, and do a system-config-display –reconfig|

|reboot (shutdown -r now)
|

|Also from command mode, you can change the xorg.conf file to give
vertical and horizontal sync, the two settings that often cause
hiccoughs. Using one of my screens as example (something or other V7)

|V and H for the V7 are 75 and 80|

|make changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
|

|This assumes, of course, that an installation of some kind has been made.

Martin