[SLUG] Nee naa nee naa

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 18:22:02 GMT 2006

Hi ppl

So. I walk out of the office, do some shopping, eat lunch, etc, come
back and my office smells of warm electronics and the motherboard's
going nee naa nee naa nee naa.

This has been a problem since I upgraded to Fedora 6 (from 3).

The computer's not supposed to be working. Sometimes it's just sat
there with a text editor open. But if I switch on system monitor it
looks like this:
<http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/test3/Screenshot-System%20Monitor.png>.
As soon as I arrive and start using the mouse, all that CPU activity
dies down again.

It looks to me like the core's got itself into a mess swapping
nonsense from one CPU to the other. But with Linux that's the last
thing I'd expect. Or should I set something in the BIOS I wonder.

I'm using an AOpen AX4SPE series motherboard with Intel Pentium 4 3E GHz.

I want to cure the problem, not mask it with more fans. It's a quiet
PC after all.

Anyone any clues?