[SLUG] logouts

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 13:52:59 GMT 2006

Bob Garrood wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> <I *think* that when I 'logout'/'shutdown' from gnome it just kills
> applications - so if I'm in an unsaved oOo document it will close
> without a prompt.
>
> I'm musing kinda as I've not tested the oOo example, but I do know that
> Firefox doesn't exit nicely - does anyone know if this is the case?
>
> And if I'm right is there anyway to change that behaviour? It seems that
> logout just gets out the fastest way it can and certainly doesn't want
> to hang around waiting for things to close.>
>
> If it's any consolation KDE seems to do the same.   My problem is that OOo
> handles .doc files fine, until I try to print them.  Then I usually end up
> having to re-install the printer.  I now always convert them to .odt.  Evil
> Empire strikes back?
>
> Bob
I didn't put this in the first e-mail, because it sounds sort of
'superior'.  Please take it in the spirit of 'helpful' :-) .  When I
first started using oOo, I had the same experiences of problems with
.doc files, and having to re-install printers.  I'm obviously doing
something different, now, but don't know what it is; or just got used to
it, because this doesn't happen any more  It all works very well.  I had
exactly the same kind of carry on in the early days of PCs and MS, back
in the last century, and I cannot now duplicate the strange results I
was getting then, although some of my customers can!
When I lost cups printer drivers, I found they were easily re-instated,
by going to the printer queues gui, clicking on edit, for any of the
drivers I had in there, then clicking on apply.  This put(s) everything
back where it should be.  I found this also works if there is a doc
stuck in the print queue, and won't be dislodged.  Clears everything
beautifully - unlike MS, where when something really gets stuck in the
printer queue, or a printer driver will not delete, and you have to go
looking for the print queue file and delete it (if you can find it).
Martin