[SLUG] rj45 and 13 amp sockets

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 10:42:46 GMT 2006

Martin Webb wrote:

> Jonathan Worthington wrote:
>
>> "Martin Webb" <martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Embedded in wall.  I've specified shielded Cat5, so it should be OK,
>>> even if the builders (inevitably) channel it next to the electricity
>>> mains, the water pipes and the telephone wires.
>>
>> I don't think running alongside is so much an issue, as when a cat5
>> crosses a mains line (e.g. is vaguely perpendicular to it).  But I've
>> yet to see a real-world situation where even this caused a problem....
>>
>> Jonathan
>
> Point taken.  Thanks, Jonathan,
> Martin

I have seen problems when unshielded CAT5 is run parallell to mains
where there is a filthy mains supply (this was in a factory with loads
of big contactors banging on and off all the time) which can cause
packet losses and an overall slower connection but it is rare - there is
only so much abuse a twisted pair can take! Most domestic / small office
situations should be OK though. We've got unshielded CAT5 at the college
running in the same channels as water and mains and don't see any issues.