[SLUG] We don't seem to be listed here, Jamie?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 17:55:50 GMT 2006

>> Jamie Adams wrote:
>>> I think that the only thing that might link to me now is the
>>> scarborough at lug.org.uk email address.
>> Stephen O'Neil wrote:
>> Right, here's where our emails are going:
>
> <snip>
>
>> So, who wants/needs to be in which group? I'll remove jamie@ and
>> replace
>> jamie at leafy with my contact details and also add myself to the
>> admins.
>
> John Allsopp wrote:
> Sorry to be late on this, but I think two things:
>
> 1) obviously we need more than just Stevio as email receiver just in
> case anything dramatic happens, I'm happy to be there for that reason
>
> 2) there's the vague possibility that someone might contact us with
> some paid work, and we should probably have an idea how we might
> handle that.

> Ian Eade wrote:
> Generally speaking I am up for anything, unless it involves utterly
> butterly
> and some country folk. Regarding Linux I will attempt anything (I do
> at
> work!) paid or unpaid, hands on or in the back-ground providing
> reference.
> Just done a Zope/Plone/Python set up for the last couple of weeks and
> it
> cannot get any worse than that!
>
> Strikes me the best way to deal with enquiries (of any kind) is to try
> and
> maintain a single point of contact from within the group. This way
> anyone
> contacting the group who wants advice or work completing will not get
> confused or (worse still) conflicting information. The SLUG point of
> contact
> member would then liaise with the group and communicate accordingly
> with the
> interested person.

The problem with that method is that would be a big job for someone in
the event of a serious enquiry, and we're not a co-ordinated mass,
we're simply individuals and the enquirer would know that. I don't
think, either, any enquirer would get lots of responses, and if they
were different, that's how they would make a decision between them.

I still prefer a rule that says "communicate it to the group and let
individuals respond one-to-one", it keeps things very simple from
SLUGs perspective.

I guess it's all moot until we get an enquiry, and I've not heard of
one in almost two years :-)