[SLUG] OT Sending messages to multiple recipients with Outlook/Outlook Express

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 16:25:44 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

Sorry to post a question regarding the use of software from the evil
empire, but I'd like to help people overcome a bad habit.

Yesterday I received a message which had also been sent to approx.
another one hundred and fifty people.  All addresses were included in
the To field from Outlook.  This kind of thing drives me nuts!  As a
mutt user I get to see about eighty lines of e-mail addresses at the
start of such a message, but on a more important note the message was
from an association I belong to and the chances are some people may have
asked that their contact details remain anonymous.  However this method
displays the e-mail address to all receiving a copy of the message.  I
sent a reply to the author suggesting he use Bcc instead, but received a
"but nobody else complained" reply.  Sigh!

I'm thinking of making a "computer tips" page for the Burythorpe website
and including a better technique for sending mail to multiple addresses.
Would one of you familiar with the comedy software from Redmond explain
the technique to me please.  I believe an address needs to be included
in the To field to allow a message to be sent, but adding your own
address there is going to boost any anti-spam scoring and so possibly
trap such a mail as spam.

Your with yet fewer hairs left,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>