[SLUG] Vim etc

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 23:42:31 GMT 2006

On Saturday 14 Jan 2006 23:19, Des Wood wrote:

Hi Des,

> By the way, at the last meeting someone told me how to run
> KDE automatically instead of typing "startx".  I'm running slackware.
> Could I have a repeat please?

It wasn't me who told you how to start KDE automatically at the last meeting
but I have used Slackware for years now and here's how to do it.

Firstly I'm assuming that if you boot your system, log in, type "startx" you
then go straight into KDE. What I am trying to say here is make sure "startx"
works before you make these changes. If the last statement is true then edit
the file:

  /etc/inittab

and find following lines:

  # These are the default runlevels in Slackware:
  #   0 = halt
  #   1 = single user mode
  #   2 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
  #   3 = multiuser mode (default Slackware runlevel)
  #   4 = X11 with KDM/GDM/XDM (session managers)
  #   5 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
  #   6 = reboot

  # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
  id:3:initdefault:

On the very last line change 3 to 4 so it becomes:

  id:4:initdefault:

Save, check your change and then reboot. The machine should now boot straight
into X and give you a graphical login.

Be very careful when editing this file as making a mistake could stop your PC
from booting.

I can't remember off-hand which default session manager Slackware gives you
(e.g. Is KDM, XDM or GDM? I can't remember!). However, you can change the
default session manager by editing the file:

  /etc/rc.d/rc.4

and commenting out the session managers that you don't want to use. Here is a
snippet from my Slackware 9.1 system. I have commented out the GDM (GNOME)
session manger so that it runs KDM, the KDE session manager, instead. Please
note that this has probably changed in later versions of Slackware.

  # Tell the viewers what's going to happen...
  echo "Starting up X11 session manager..."

  # Try to use GNOME's gdm session manager:
  #if [ -x /usr/bin/gdm ]; then
  #  exec /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
  #fi

  # Not there?  OK, try to use KDE's kdm session manager:
  if [ -x /opt/kde/bin/kdm ]; then
    exec /opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon
  fi

  # If all you have is XDM, I guess it will have to do:
  if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
    exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon
  fi

In case you are not sure lines beginning with # are commented out and
therefore ignored.

Hope this helps,

Paul.