[SLUG] Mailmerge, debate

David Webster dave at dave-webster.com
Wed Jul 19 09:59:26 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> I'm trying to do a mailmerge of a letter with data in a spreadsheet.
> Open Office 2.0 Writer is so difficult to use I haven't managed it.
> Well, I kinda have but not in the format I want, and now it just
> crashes.
>
> So I installed AbiWord, and that just crashes on mailmerge .. end of.
>
> So, any recommendations for some software that actually fucking works?
> I'm still on Fedora 3. Maybe that's my problem. Either that or
> unreasonably high expectations.
>

> Which puts me in mind of the possibility of a Vista versus Linux
> debate next meeting. Are we up for that? The debate format worked well
> last time. I'd be willing to propose for Vista (on the basis of
> reading magazine articles though, I won't have installed it, so I'd
> probably be better off seconding to someone who has installed it).
>
> What would be the motion? This house believes Vista is redundant
> before it's launched?

I'm not sure if it is redundant, but Microsoft is making BIG promises
about security, that they won't deliver on.  There was an article by
Symantec saying that Microsoft are chucking away a lot of tried and
tested code for some new stuff that may or may not be more secure.

In the end I think Microsoft will rush the release and in a further six
months release Vista Second Edition.

Dave