[SLUG] Mailmerge, debate

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 13:59:56 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>>> I'm trying to do a mailmerge of a letter with data in a spreadsheet.
>>> Open Office 2.0 Writer is so difficult to use I haven't managed it.
>>> Well, I kinda have but not in the format I want, and now it just
>>> crashes.

A simple and effective mail merge which works can be done thus:
1  Set up the letter in Writer.  Leave open;
2  Set up the Spreadsheet Database of names and addresses.  Top line
must be names of fields.  Save and close;
3  Station cursor where you want the name to appear (e.g. after "Dear ");
4  Open Insert => Fields => Other => Database;
5  Browse to your Spreadsheet Database, and click on all the little +
signs until you come to your list of Field Headings;
6  Choose the heading you want, and insert and close.

Do steps 3 to 6 again for each of the address rows.

Click on Print, and it will ask you if you want to print a form letter.
Click on Yes, make sure printer is on and there is paper in it, and
Robert's your mother's brother.

hth, Martin