[SLUG] This week's project

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 23:58:17 BST 2006

When Martin asked us all what we'd been doing this month I said I'd been
working on a mortgage calculator.

Here are the limited fruits of that effort:
http://www.moongardynbears.co.uk/mortgage.php

There are minor errors due to rounding, and the monthly repayments my
calculator gives are +/- £3 on those that our lender has told us.

Oh, and it's really slow due to the number of form fields and number of
calculations it has to do.

It started out as server-side PHP, but decided I wanted it to be
client-side javascript to make it easier to tweak things without having
to re-submit... that conversion made the performance worse as javascript
is rubbish for doing anything serious... but oh well ... that, in fact,
makes me wonder if it is a rare occasion where a java applet would be of
use.

It's quite unusable in FF due to the unresponsive script alerts so I
have resorted to increasing about:config->dom.max_script_run_time to
something like 20s because I can't be bothered to wrap parts of the
script up in settimeout() threads.

Steve O