[SLUG] project

Gavin Baker gavbaker at acm.org
Fri Jun 9 13:39:33 BST 2006

On 9 Jun 2006, at 11:53, Stephen 'NeillO wrote:

> Thanks for the reading hints - I'll follow them up.
>
> Did you get onto that maths degree/masters thing that you wanted to
> get onto? Have you moved onto encryption etc yet - that was your
> original plan wasn't it?

I'm doing a degree with the open university, currently on my 4th
mathematics course. I could get a BSc at the end of next year but
will probably study for a year longer and go for a BSc honors in
mathematics. (Only one post graduate course interests me, so I won't
go any further).

Encryption seems fun, which is why I'm doing 'number theory and
mathematical logic' next year. The area of genetic programming
fascinates me though, so I might change track a bit and do some
biology, then maybe some computer-science type courses...

I definitely don't want to specialize in any area, I just want to get
a good overview. I want to be comfortable with enough mathematics
that proofs of encryption/complex adaptive systems/computer
vision/... algorithms don't scare me. The titles of the million
papers in these areas sound fun. I want to understand em damnit.

Whats the average life expectancy of a British male who smokes and
drinks too much? shrug, I'm sure I will have enough time.

Gav