[SLUG] Lucy's computer, fingers crossed, fixed

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 07:20:43 BST 2006

Hi ppl

I thought I'd fixed Lucy's computer but .. what happened .. I went
over to do something relatively minor and then ran auto update. A few
days later Lucy said she was getting no sound from CDs.

So I went back and spent an evening attempting to update Helix and
Kaffeine without success. Well, it all seemed to go OK except it
didn't fix the problem, and Kaffeine stopped loading.

Lucy caved in. She tentatively suggested the possibility of installing
Windows and was going out on Saturday to buy it.

She couldn't find one, or at least, not at the price she was
expecting, and in the end her conscience wouldn't let her. She said if
she did that she may as well eat at McDonalds.

So last night I went and had another go. I'd installed Gnome on her
Suse because I thought she'd prefer that, but this time I decided to
reinstall with KDE.

CDs played 'right out of the box', but obviously DVDs didn't. But I
found a better tutorial (than the one I used previously) at
http://www.mysuse.org/modules/articles/article.php?id=5 which got it
sorted.

So finally, fingers crossed, it's working. 44.5 hours I've spent on
this machine!

Except, just as I was going, she found a Flash site where the sound
was jagged. We'll see if that was a one-off.