[SLUG] Re: Largest file

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 21:20:21 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:56:52AM GMT, Bob Garrood wrote:
> Hi
>
> Al Girling wrote
>
> "On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 11:25:04AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> > > 1: Is there a command to tell me the largest file within a filesystem
> > > hierarchy (from here downwards)?
> >
> > ls -RSs seems to help, but doesn't collect it all together.
>
> How about:
>

> $ du -ha <path/to/directory> | sort -n"
>
> This has odd effects.

I bet it does!  Adding a '"' to the end of the command like that means
the shell waits till you complete your command.

>                        How about:
>
> du -a <path/to/directory>  |sort -gr

Are you sure about this?  When I try this I see a list of files starting
with the top directory I'm listing rather than a specific file within a
hierarchy.

Perhaps this is what John was asking for and I misunderstood.

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>