[SLUG] Installing Linux for Lucy

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 08:23:51 GMT 2006

Hi ppl

I attempted a Linux installation last night on a friend, Lucy's, new
machine.

I've named her because she'll probably join the list and ask beginners
questions (so now you'll know who she is when she turns up) and she
may come along to the next SLUG meeting too.

I tried Ubuntu, Suse and Knoppix. I couldn't see how to get Knoppix to
actually install, and it had far too many menu options for her.
Ubuntu, wildly, couldn't find her hard disc. How crazy is that? It was
the Hoary Hedgehog release 5.04 and the disc was connected using SATA.

So I fell back on Suse, which seems impressive, except I haven't got
sound to work. That should be provided by the ASRock 939NF4
motherboard. I'll need to spend a little more time on that, but any
suggestions welcome. She wants to use the machine to watch DVDs so
it's kind-of important.

Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very
very very very very very very very very very very very very very very
very irritatingly Suse comes with Kino, just like that. That's the
same Kino that I've spent hour after hour trying to install on Fedora.

Oh, and Suse says "Great computer, except, you're about to install 32
bit software on a 64 bit machine". Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, all hail Lucy for taking the plunge, buying a computer and
asking them NOT to put an OS on it, then getting Linux installed.
Wonderful.

Cheers