[SLUG] Installing Linux for Lucy

Jamie Adams thefatsamurai at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 10:07:29 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 03:23 -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
<SNIP>
> So I fell back on Suse, which seems impressive, except I haven't got
> sound to work. That should be provided by the ASRock 939NF4
> motherboard. I'll need to spend a little more time on that, but any
> suggestions welcome. She wants to use the machine to watch DVDs so
> it's kind-of important.

This motherboard uses an Nforce chipset so there are a couple of options
open to you. You could try the Nvidia drivers for linux which have a
module for onboard sound [1], or you could use ALSA which has partial
support for this chipset under the intel8x0 module. There are some
instructions for getting ALSA working with this card here:
http://jrblevin.freeshell.org/weblog

[1] http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html