[SLUG] Download writing to disc failure

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 11:57:28 GMT 2006

Hi

OK, it's collective brain time again.

I've lived with this one for a while, but it's a pain and Stevio
reckoned he'd like to help fix it so I thought I'd open it up.

I'm using FC4 and if I try to download a file to disc it comes up with
the download window, shows the progress to the end, and then never
actually says "complete". When I look, there's no file.

I've not looked into it, that's as far as I've got.

I think, if there's an application I can open the file with straight
from download everything proceeds fine.

Where I was going to look is here: The LPI tells you to set up about
six or seven partitions, ideally, so I did and I used the sizes they
recommended and FC4 went WTF? so I doubled the sizes and then I think
I had to double them again to get sensible responses. Now I'm getting
problems sometimes if I open lots of images in The Gimp, I get lots of
'can't save, media full' type messages which I presume is down to
where I put the Gimp's cache file because if I ignore all those I can
proceed OK, including saving the files when I'm done.

I'm just wondering if download is hitting a partition size issue,
although I haven't noticed it work with small files and not with
larger ones.

Also, I wasn't rushing to solve it because the next few weeks of LPI
is all about disc and partition management so I thought I'd work
through that first .. I don't even know atm how to check how much of
each partition is being used.

Over to you my friends.