[SLUG] Download writing to disc failure

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 10:55:30 GMT 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:31:44AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 09:56:41AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> > Spooky! there's no attached window shot either.
>
> Sorry, that followed in the next message :-)

It arrived as I sent my message. :)

> > I've been waiting for to say what app you are using to download files
> > give some sort of clue.  I assume your difficulties are with your
> > browser?  Can you confirm?
> >
> > Do you have similar problems using the package management system, ftp,
> > wget or whatever?
> >
> > Al
>
> Firefox 1.0.7
>
> I use gFTP to occasionally pull back a file and I haven't had a
> problem. Interesting, I don't think I'd thought of it as a browser
> problem.
>
> Both files came from the web through FireFox though. The first, the
> MP3, someone had sent me through some irritating ISendU type website
> facility nonsense. Maybe, since that's their business they've got some
> part of the protocol covered that Real hasn't and which FireFox needs.

Hmm, I was thinking it would something simple like a permissions thing.
Especially as you say gFTP works ok, but if Firefox allows you to
download one file but not another, then...

> I haven't got another browser installed to test, and guess what ..
> I'll bet I couldn't download it if I wanted to.

I don't know FC, but I'd have thought (4 was it?) would use pretty
bleeding edge software.  Can't you just pull in dillo or galeon with the
package manager for testing purposes.

> If it does turn out to be FireFox I'll have to revise my "wouldn't
> wish it on your worst enemy" verdict on Fedora. Bugger!

Ah!  Well, I'm starting to feel that way about Firefox.  As someone who
started using it back when it was Phoenix 0.5 I've been really
enthusiastic about it until recently.

You might like to try wget to download RealPlayer, should at least get
you a copy.  Also, let you play with the command line more! ;)

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>