[SLUG] Download writing to disc failure

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 15:17:17 GMT 2006

> I think a more important thing to note is you should be using the
> package manager to install software where ever possible.  The folks at
> FC work hard to maintain security updates and every time you install
> something outside this you risk a potential hole and more work keeping
> your system up to date and secure.  Unless you really can't do without
> that feature only available from the latest release you really should
> use the PM.  It's another of the advantages we, as Linux users, have.
> Why throw it away?
>
> Toodle pip,
>
> Al

As an aside, if we're supposed to use Yum, then Yum should contain the
software we want. Kino is what I want, but Yum doesn't have it. Do you
have any idea how to find out what alternative video editing packages
Yum does have? Or whether Kino is in the pipeline? Or even what
packages Yum does have?

I'm not hassling, but my submessage is there's no 'should' or moral
obligation to use Yum, users will use it if it works. Which it does,
beautifully, until you move outside their list of supported packages.
It doesn't, for me and Kino, so I'm left with no option but to use rpm
etc.

I'm getting the impression that Kino's easily available through the
Debian / APT system. So in choosing a distribution, how do I know
which lot of software I'm likely to end up with?