[SLUG] Browser identification and Wine

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 16:40:34 BST 2006

Bob Garrood wrote:
> I use Konqueror, which lets you specify how you identify your browser to a
> particular website.  So I can tell it to identify itself to a website as
> IE6.5.  Is there any obvious way that the website would know I'm lying?

The only practical way is using javascript - they can test your browser
for certain features which are only present in IE (e.g. document.all).
They could change how you see the content using CSS - but they'd have to
be *really* desperate, and that whereas they can demand that you enable
javascript they can't stop you from disabling CSS.

In any case, the server itself will have no way of knowing that you're
lying directly.

Steve O