[SLUG] Re: Linux in schools

rob at waylock.co.uk rob at waylock.co.uk
Wed May 3 15:10:17 BST 2006

>Bob Garrood wrote:
>And... another thing that wouldn't fit in to my ramble... the
>back-office applications which schools are totally dependent upon (i.e.
>SIMS/CMIS etc) are MS only.

The servers don't necessarily need to have Windows on them to run CMIS. Whilst not supported by them, you can happily put the database and shares on a Linux server which would allow you to get more oomph out of the same hardware which would otherwise be running W2k3. Just in case I get some spare time (!) then I might try playing with CMIS on a Linux server.

 These packages are complex and have lots of
>features specific to the complexities of running a school and aren't
>likely to a) be ported to Linux or b) ratified by BECTA - so those
>servers/apps will always need windows too.

BECTA guidelines are just that - guidelines. We occasionally fly in the face of what BECTA recommend but we still provide a proper service to the staff and students here.

>Though, one interesting thing is that despite our collective suspicions
>of .Net this may actually help. If .Net makes it easier to port
>applications to Linux then maybe, just maybe, this may start to change.

This I'm keeping an open mind on. .Net is all well and good until M$ throw one of their paddies and change something again!