[SLUG] Printer sharing with Mac

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Fri May 12 21:35:14 BST 2006

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> What are your initial thoughts about sharing a printer connected to my
> Fedora 4 with a Mac OSX laptop (connected over wireless network)?
>
> I also have a laser printer to plug in somewhere. Shall I plug that
> into my Fedora too so I just have one lot of sharing to deal with? I'd
> have to make the Windows XP machine see those too. Or shall I print
> the laser printer into the Windows machine and attempt to share
> printers in two places/directions.
>
> Cheers

Have an Epson C66 and a Samsung laser printer attached to XP, upstairs.
Downstairs is a Fedora 3 (main work machine), connected wirelessly to
upstairs router.  Also laptop, wireless, skulling around.  All share
same two printers.  Not difficult.  Have a go and see what happens.
Would attempt to answer specific questions, if  you have similar
config.  Have not tried printers attached to linuxbox, and trying to
print from XP, so limited knowledge there (well, even more limited).
Only real problem is having to go up and down the stairs n times per day
to collect papers from the printer.  You might find a workaround for
that one.
Martin

PS  I have samba running, so that I can share files from up to down, but
this seems not to be needed from down to up.  Don't think this is needed
for this printer config.