[SLUG] PPPD/MPPE and rebuilding kernel modules

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 20:54:26 BST 2006

Hi all,

I have a problem, my work's VPN only supports 40-bit MPPE with MS-CHAP
whereas when I try to connect my local pppd claims to only support
128-bit MPPE when using MS-CHAP.

Anyway, I've googled and googled and googled to no avail.

However, I have the pppd source code and I can see the lines which
create the error message I get.

Now, what I want to do is recompile this code and load it as a kernel
module (it's compiled as a kernel module)... I have managed to recompile
the source but don't have a clue how to load it into the kernel.

Can anyone guide me on this? - the internet has not been too fruitful,
nor have my linux books.

For anyone that's interested, the interim solution has been to create an
SSH tunnel between my work machine and home then use reverse port
forwarding to redirect certain traffic from linux back down the tunnel.
The downside of this is that my work machine always needs to be on...
but that said I've not got Wake-On-Lan working so that's academic.

Steve O