[SLUG] Kubuntu and the Epson Stylus C48

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 11:28:41 BST 2006

Hi

I got 5 copies each of Edubuntu and Kubuntu 6.06 free and have been trying
them out.  I couldn't try Edubuntu as it will only install if allowed to take
over my whole computer, but I put Kubuntu onto a free partition and it passed
the first hurdle by setting up my HP printer with no problems.  The list of
printers it installs does include the Epson Stylus C48.

Here is a list of other good things about Kubuntu 6.06:

Here is a list of some of the problems I had installing:

The quality of the CDs is poor.  I actually installed 4 times, and 2 of the 4
discs at least seem to be corrupt.

It gave me misleading error messages, assuming I was already connected to the
internet.  Can I be the only person left using dial-up?
KPPP would not work initially.  I had to reboot into another OS to get on the
internet to find out why.  The problem turned out to be trivial and well
known since the previous distribution.  I had to go to the command line to
fix it, which might be disconcerting for a newcomer to Linux.

It did not install the software it said it would.  For example there is no
e-mail.  On investigation, I found that the files for KMail seemed to be all
there.  The problem was to do with library files on which KMail depends and
which were not present.

I didn't much like the idea of sudo.  Now I hate it.

Slackware 11.0 is due out soon.  I'll stick to that, and bring a selection of
bird-scarers to tonight's meeting.

Bob