[SLUG] Re: Website

Bob Garrood bgarrood at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 11:13:06 BST 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:15, John wrote:

> Hmm, ok the website is starting to look very out of date now .. our
> next meeting is in April, the regular faces have all changed, the
> reviews and tutorials are all from over two years ago.

Websites that are not updated are frustrating.  A few days ago I
had a look at all 5 scarborough  secondary school websites to find
the date of half term.  One does not exist.  One only has one page with a
picture and no information.  Two  only gave dates for last year, and the
third, which has a head who can't spell calendar, hadn't updated since 2003.
So I remain ignorant.  There may be a marketing opportunity here.

My suggestion  is that after each meeting someone write a short account for
the website to be known as the SLUG log, or slog.  We could take turns. Here
is my effort for Wednesday.

At the meeting on Wednesday, at the Valley, the main event was a talk by
Jonathan Worthington  called "Inside Virtual Machines".  It covered what they
are, why they're good, how the various bits of them work (at a fairly high
level) and a bit of what it's like to work on one.  He
mentioned the .Net CLR, the Java Virtual Machine and Parrot. Java is the one
most people have on their computer, but it's slow.  Parrot is the one he
works on, and he explained ways in which it is being made to run faster.  You
can find the text on Johnathan's website at: (to be added when I find it)

Question I should have asked, but didn't.

How well does Parrot work with tools like Qt and Tk which are used with many
computer languages?

Best beers of the evening.

Morgans "Bishop's Revenge", and a beer flavoured with tarberries called
"Roisen", made by the Craigmill brewery who make the well known Fraoch
(heather) ale.