[SLUG] Re: Website

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 17:26:42 BST 2006

Bob Garrood wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 12:15, John wrote:
>
> > Hmm, ok the website is starting to look very out of date now .. our
> > next meeting is in April, the regular faces have all changed, the
> > reviews and tutorials are all from over two years ago.
>
> Websites that are not updated are frustrating.  A few days ago I
> had a look at all 5 scarborough  secondary school websites to find
> the date of half term.  One does not exist.  One only has one page with a
> picture and no information.  Two  only gave dates for last year, and the
> third, which has a head who can't spell calendar, hadn't updated since 2003.
> So I remain ignorant.  There may be a marketing opportunity here.
>
> My suggestion  is that after each meeting someone write a short account for
> the website to be known as the SLUG log, or slog.

Good idea Bob.

John was asking how we were getting on with the Ryedale LUG earlier this
week.  Perhaps you'd care to see how we do this:

http://ryedale.lug.org.uk/meet.html

I'd like to echo Paul's comments about how we intend to compliment the
other local LUGs rather than compete with them.  I've always been in
contact with York, Scarborough and Beverley LUGs and will continue to do
so as I'm sure that by working together we can all improve.

I've had a pretty poor year and have had little chance to do all I
wanted with regard to the LUG, but I'm starting to get more time now.
As we head into the darker evenings I hope this will improve further.

Something that might be of interest is the use of PGP or for the OSS
world Gnupg.  I've been using this for the best part of a year now and
have found it very useful at times.  I know that Andy Smith an admin for
the lug.org.uk box prefers signed e-mail as it guarantees he's responding
to genuine requests for things at lug.org.uk.  It also enables the use
of encrypted mail and develops a web of trust among users.  I'm sure
Andy would be very happy if Steve were to start using it.  Don't worry,
it's not only you I'm pestering about this. ;)  I've been in contact
with Nathan from the Beverly LUG too and am trying to talk him into
using it too.  Ewan and Alex at York have been using it for some time
now as have many others over there.

For more about Gnupg see: http://www.gnupg.org/

In the future I hope that as the Ryedale LUG grows and we start holding
more presentations we can offer to come to you, York and Beverley to
share what we've taken the time to put together and hopefully help work
towards something which is greater than the sum of the parts for this
part of Yorkshire.  If you follow me.

While I've not been to many meetings at Scarborough this year, those I
have attended have been very good.

I hope I'll be able to get across to another meeting soon, till then;

Toodle pip,

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>