[SLUG] Ubuntu

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 14:17:25 BST 2006

"Ubuntu - Linux for Humans."

Sounds great. I was thinking to myself that in a few months I'll either
completely reinstall the newly released Fedora or more likely that it's
about time I tried something else.

Now I don't have time for faffing around so I don't mean different as in
"Slackware", but I thought Ubuntu may be a nice stepping stone towards
Debian.

Anyway, I use my machine for web development and a typical desktop - so
it fits into the "Server" category because it has apache/mysql/ssh/print
server etc but also the "Desktop" category because I like the pretty
bells and whistles, office software etc.

When I go onto the Ubuntu site it wants me to choose between "Server"
and "Desktop" editions. I'm thinking I'd need "Server" because of the
apps, but then that distro is much smaller than "Desktop". Great.

One feature they're proud of in the "Server" product is that they have a
single command for installing the web environment - great, but can I do
that after installing the desktop version? No idea.

So great, and now I'm thinking I can't be bothered and maybe I should be
going for a different distro or just sticking with what I know.

Steve O