[SLUG] Reith Lectures 2007

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 15:25:16 BST 2007

Did anyone catch the reference to Linux in the 1st of the Reith
Lectures, this year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2007/lecture1.shtml

"We are entering I believe a new politics, and potentially a hopeful
politics. I'm going to call it open-source leadership. If Wikipedia and
Linux can be built in an open source manner, politics can be done in
that manner as well."

The fact that Jeffrey Sachs mentioned only two or three analogies for
good politics, and that one of those was Linux, is, to me, significant.

The character of Linux and its community is, for me too, a paradigm for
other levels of organisation; and one of the reasons I was interested in
Linux in the first place.

Martin