[SLUG]Scanner setup

Pete Redwood predwood at phonecoop.coop
Sun Apr 29 22:15:42 BST 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 13:02, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

> > Check to see if a firmware file has been loaded
> > into  /usr/share/sane/snapscan/. I'm running SuSE 10.2 but I suspect
> > the
> > directories will be similar for FC6
>
> There's no snapscan file anywhere on my system.
>
> > Mine is ESFW30.BIN for the Epson 1670. I'm not certain if it is the
> > same one
> > for the V350. The necessary file will be on your Windows set-up disk
> > but
> > probably  buried in a .CAB file in the /epscan/ directory and you will
> > need
> > software like "unshield" to extract it. I'm sure it must also
> > available for
> > download somewhere though.
>
> Not sure what to do about that, presumably I've a failed installation
> on my hands, not sure how to manually install a file in a Windows CAB
> file.
CAB files are a bit of a pain to play around with. A bit of software called
unshield (unshield-0.5-6.fc6.i386.rpm) is available from http://rpm.pbone.net
which enables you to prise them apart but there are at least six on the Epson
disk and I have no idea  which is which. If you want to play with it you are
looking for a .BIN file. Simply copy it onto your system when you have found
it. It needs to go in one of the sane directories. Most Epson scanners work
on the Agfa Snapscan format but once again, not certain about V350. I seem to
remember that SuSE recognised the scanner when I first installed it and so
must have created the necessary folders and files, even though it couldn't
supply the firmware.
> > Check also to see if any change has been made to
> > /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
>
> No, no changes made (ls -l shows last date 2006).
>
> > The third line down must be uncommented and show the location of the
> > firmware
> > file. Also, if you are using a USB connection, a couple of lines
> > further down
> > you will need to uncomment the line /dev/usb/scanner...............
>
> Ah, OK here's the first part of my file:
>
> # Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
> # firmware upload is needed by the scanner
> firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin
The final bit here   /your-firmwarefile.bin    must be changed to the name of
the firmware file that you need to download.

> # If not automatically found you may manually specify a device name.
>
> # For USB scanners also specify bus=usb, e.g.
> # /dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb
A USB scanner will not work unless this line in uncommented.
> # For SCSI scanners specify the generic device, e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux.
> # /dev/sg0
>
> > As long as you have the correct firmware file on your system in the
> > right
> > place and the file snapscan.conf is correct everything should work ok.
> >
> > Good luck
>
> Thanks, OK, so I'll try to work out the CAB thing then or try to find
> a download. What is it? A driver file?

You are looking for a driver file. Hope I'm not leading astray. Does FC6 have
a hardware installation program - a scanner set-up. If it does, try that
first and see what it throws up then go from there.

Just going through my SuSE set up it says; Epson V350 PHOTO : Driver epkowa
(package iscan) gives good functionality - which is of course what you have
already downloaded. Maybe try the FC5 version.

--
Regards
Pete
predwood at phonecoop.coop