[SLUG] DNS n all that

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 20:40:09 GMT 2007

Hello, All,

Funny sort of a problem.
I've set up a server, at home, with Fedora 5, Apache, MySQL and PHP.
This is to serve Moodle, a web facility for learning:

e.g.   http://moodle.ycoastco.ac.uk/   (have a look in your own browser).

It's still in the early stages, but is working fine, and can be accessed
from its www...org.uk web-domain address.

In order for Moodle to be accessible (i.e. to work) I have to tell
Moodle where its files are.  They have to be, of course, at
www...org.uk, so that they can be accessed from the Internet, even
though that address resolves to my own IP, and is then forwarded through
my router to the relevant machine.

However, because of that www address setting, the whole caboodle is
perfectly accessible to the Internet, but not to the host PC upstairs,
which wants the files to be at localhost.localdomain, not at some fancy
www website.

Of course, I can set wwwroot = localhost.localdomain rather than
www.somewhere.org.uk, and the local machine is then totally happy - but
Moodle is then not accessible from the Internet.

The question is, how can I gain access both for the Internet and for the
local machine.  Is there a settings in /etc/hosts or in some DNS file
somewhere that will redirect the local machine only, without interfering
with Internet guests?  I just need to tell the local machine that when
it sees www.somewhere.org.uk it really means localhost.localdomain.

Martin