[SLUG] DNS n all that

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 11:45:11 GMT 2007

Chris More wrote:
> Martin Webb wrote:
>> The question is, how can I gain access both for the Internet and for
>> the local machine.  Is there a settings in /etc/hosts or in some DNS
>> file somewhere that will redirect the local machine only, without
>> interfering with Internet guests?  I just need to tell the local
>> machine that when it sees www.somewhere.org.uk it really means
>> localhost.localdomain.
>>

> You need to alter your etc/hosts file to point requests for
> www.somewhere.org.uk back to your local machine.   Each machine behind
> your router can be set this way.  There is a matching windows hosts file.
>
> try googling for sample hosts files.

Thanks, both Chris and Rob, for replies.  I'll follow up suggestions.

However, there has been a (to me) surprising development.
An hour or two after I made the initial posting, all came right without
my doing a single thing, nor altering any setting.

Is there a routing table somewhere (moodle? router? Apache? fedora?)
that has sorted itself out either automatically or by magic?  I'd be
interested to know how all this works, if anyone has an inkling (I
wonder what inklings look like: are they small and black?).

In any case, Moodle is now fully operational and accessible both from
WAN and LAN (on www.bowchurches.org.uk/moodle if anyone is interested in
the first tentative steps towards a Churches in Bow corporate
information site).

Rob, you divulge that you have used Moodle (perhaps other slug members
have too).  Is there any remote chance that I might ask the odd question
from time to time, during this venture, either on or off the mailing
list (as people, especially yourself, please)?

Martin