[SLUG] Feeling bad

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 12:37:48 GMT 2007

Hi ppl

OK, so now I'm feeling bad. I'm supposed to be organising the meeting
themes, however I'm also in a band <http://www.thedtsband.co.uk/>
(we're playing tonight, incidentally) which practices every Tuesday.
Maybe that will change at some point, but that's not planned. I'm the
drummer, so I am missed if I'm not there, so if a SLUG meeting is on a
Tuesday, I have to miss it, which means I missed the last, and I'll
miss the next. This makes me a particularly ineffective meeting
organiser.

I recently received a mailshot from Create that includes lots of
really great ideas for things to do (eg. creativity swap shop: swap an
hours painting with an hours guitar tuition), and which highlights the
difference between what I've been doing and what is possible. SLUG
could be much better than it is. Maybe we should engage the business
community more, maybe we can organise ourselves to provide paid-for
services.

At the same time, I've become very busy. I have to be, my g/f is
studying so there's just one wage .. mine. So I really don't have the
time for much additional stuff over and above the drumming and the
running, that is.

I fear that, if I go all irregular, the irregularity will increase and
eventually the regulars will become irregular too and there'll be no
SLUG. I don't know who turned up to the last meeting.

I did want to set up a starters programme, but then my Tuesday thing
got in the way. I wanted to continue the Linux studies, but I don't
think I have the time.

So, what does everyone feel about this? Ideally someone else would
take up the baton and run the meetings. Or are we not bothered? I am
bothered, I'd miss SLUG if it wasn't there, I'm just presently busy
and only able to attend 2/3 of the meetings. Anyone any other ideas?
Should we change the meeting day system? Should we have meetings every
other month, or just have meetings for special events? What do you
reckon? Feel free to reply to the list or off list if you prefer. It
feels a bit weird tripping up just as the Vista battle comes up.

Cheers